A Platform for Managing Research Development
In partnership with ITS-CACS, the VPR Research Development team has developed a platform for managing research development activities including proposal development, limited submissions, and faculty recognition. The platform is built on Salesforce, and leverages data from ResearchUVA, HR, and Finance systems to connect research development activities to submitted proposals and grant awards. The platform enables:
- managing and tracking research development activities, including proposal development, limited submissions, and internal seed proposals
- sharing information on activities across a distributed team
- reporting on activities and on the UVA research environment
Example use cases
Limited Submissions: The VPR Office Research Development team uses this system in tandem with InfoReady Competition Space to manage and report on the limited submission process. This process involves launching roughly 70 competitions per year. Each competition can include multiple stages. A single competition can extend for 1-5 months, involves multiple critical deadlines, and requires communication with several groups of key stakeholders, including applicants, reviewers, and dean's offices. The Salesforce platform enables:
- automated creation of new limited submission processes for recurring limited submission programs;
- detailed data collection on each stage of the process for each competition;
- summary status for the entire pipeline at any given time;
- reporting on previous proposal submissions and awards, which is useful in managing competitions and review panels; and
- connection to data on the proposals that emerge from the process, so that the VPR Office can collect data on the number of proposals submitted and awarded.
Proposal Development: The VPR Office Research Development team uses this system to manage and track proposal development activities. The platform enables:
- reporting on previous proposal submissions and awards, which is useful information for proposal development;
- detailed data collection on the proposal development process;
- summary status for all proposals currently in development; and
- connection of data on proposal development to data on proposals submitted and awarded.
Reports: For high-level reporting on proposals and awards, the VPR Office Research Development team uses Juice. For detailed reporting needed to conduct studies on UVA’s research enterprise, the VPR Office Research Development team uses the Salesforce platform. The platform enables detailed reporting on proposal submissions and awards data from ResearchUVA, and allows these data to be combined with HR data and UVa's organizational structure.
Seed Awards: Several of the PanU Institutes use this system to track internal seed proposals. The platform enables:
- detailed data collection on internal submission and status;
- reporting and summary of internal seed proposals; and
- connection of seed awards to data on proposals submitted and awarded.