This page provides a guide to the proposal development resources available across the Grounds. It includes information on central and school-based resources.
Research Development in the Office of Vice President for Research
Research Development in the Office of Vice President for Research provides proposal development services for large and collaborative proposals using a coordination of services model.
- Proposal Management for large, cross-disciplinary proposals
- Setting up and facilitating/leading standing team meetings and follow-ups
- Establishing roles and responsibilities of team members (as it pertains to the proposal and project)
- Connecting team members with appropriate contacts and resources
- Unifying team members – such as facilitating up-coming tasks, sending out reminders, collecting and harmonizing drafts of the research proposal
- Assistance with internal or external review processes
- Development of timelines, templates, and general knowledge for various components of the application
- Establishing deadlines and ensuring they are adhered to
- Outlining RFA/FOAs for team
- Doing the research/leg-work for getting answers and resources
- Providing final read-through, grant and figure editing
- Serving as a liaison or point-of-contact
- Arranging, establishing and sustaining communication with investigators from other Schools or external collaborators
- Coordination with Research Administrators, OSP, other staff or faculty
- Connecting teams/investigators with external grant writers, graphic/figure editors, other services
Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations
The Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations offers a set of grant writing resources. The page includes the following topics.
- Writing the proposal
- Submitting the proposal
- External Resources
- Institutional Information
Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs
The Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs has resources to assist the development of proposals that include graduate students and postdoctoral scholars.
- PhD Plus is a university-wide initiative to prepare PhD students across all disciplines for long-term career success. Its goal is to enable versatile academics who are deeply engaged with society’s needs to become influential professionals in every sector and field.
- PhD + Core Modules are dynamic extra-curricular training experiences designed to provide students with an enhanced suite of skills and competencies necessary for success across all careers paths.
- PhD Plus Internships provide students with the opportunity to pursue an internship with a University office or external partner. The intent of these internships is to engage and develop students’ professional competencies beyond those typically addressed within their academic training.
- The Office of Graduate Student Diversity Programs is committed to the identification, retention, mentoring, and graduation of a highly talented and diverse graduate student population.
Office of the Vice Provost for Academic Outreach
The Office of the Vice Provost for Academic Outreach launched Engaged UVA in 2017 to gather and highlight information on the community engaged programs already underway at the University.
Engaged UVA is the front door to community partnerships at UVA, designed to connect faculty, students and communities to mutually beneficial research and teaching programs. The Engaged UVA website reflects current and ongoing community based initiatives, and allows users to search for associated faculty, courses, projects, and community partners.
The Engaged UVA website includes resources that may be helpful in developing the broader impacts of research proposals. The topics include the following.
UVA Brain Institute
The UVA Brain Institute, in collaboration with the Translational Health Research Institute of Virginia (THRIV), conduct Grant Review Studios as part of their Research Studios offerings.
A Research Studio is a new opportunity at UVA that brings together relevant research experts from diverse academic disciplines to provide feedback on a specific project or area of research to an individual investigator or project team.
A Grant Review Studio assists investigators by reviewing a grant application or resubmission to enhance the chance of funding; examines the scope of the specific aims, background and significance, preliminary studies, and the research design/methods to make the application more competitive.
Office of Research Development in the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
The Office of Research Development in the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences maintains a set of proposal development resources on the Research Development Resources page, which requires NetBadge to
view. The content includes the following topics.
- Guidance for specific proposal sections
- Executive Summary
- Project Management Examples
- Data Management Resources (from the UVA Library)
- Examples of successful proposals
Office of Research in the School of Medicine
The Office of Research in the School of Medicine maintains a set of proposal development resources on the developing and submitting a proposal page. The content includes the following topics.
- The proposal approval process at UVA
- Proposal template forms
- Types of awards
- Industry-academia collaborations
- Whom to notify, and when, during proposal development
- Help with proposal development
- Resources for proposal development and writing
- Timeline for proposal development
- The NIH application cover letter
- Clinical study budgets
- Help with other NIH-required sections
Office of Research Administration in the School of Education and Human Development
The Office of Research Administration in the School of Education and Human Development offers resources for proposal development on the Develop Proposal Components page. The content includes the following topics.
- Research narrative
- Literature citations/references
- Budget and budget narrative
- Biosketches or CVs
- Human subject narrative
- Resources and environment
The Office of Research Administration also provides guidance on meeting with your research administrator.