The MITRE University Innovation Exchange was established in 2018 as a partnership between the MITRE Corporation, UVA and several other Virginia public universities, the Virginia Economic Development Partnership, and the Fairfax County Economic Development Authority. The University Innovation Exchange envisions MITRE staff and university students and faculty working on integrated project teams to identify and try approaches to fast track innovative solutions to complex national challenges. In 2019 MITRE, UVA, George Mason University, Virginia Tech, Christopher Newport University, James Madison University, Virginia State University, Old Dominion University, and William & Mary implemented a master agreement to facilitate establishing projects. The vision is for other universities to join the master agreement in the future. The University Innovation Exchange will provide the following benefits to its partners:
- Provide students and faculty opportunities to collaborate with practitioners on national challenges in cybersecurity, national security, aviation, social science, healthcare, and other sectors.
- Advance ongoing workforce development efforts.
- Attract prospective students.
- Opportunities for students and faculty to publish.
- Open avenues for commercializing innovations.
- Expedite innovative solutions to complex national challenges in support of MITRE's government sponsors by combining expertise, perspectives, and leading research capabilities.
- Increase the pipeline of qualified systems engineers, computer scientists, health informatic specialists, aviation, and other specialists to tackle next-generation public challenges.
- Strengthen longstanding academic partnerships to support MITRE's mission to solve problems for a safer world.