A member whose efforts on behalf of the advancement of science or its applications are scientifically or socially distinguished and who has been a continuous member for the four-year period leading up to the year of nomination, may, by virtue of such meritorious contribution be elected a Fellow by the Council.
Examples of areas in which nominees may have made significant contributions are research; teaching; technology; services to professional societies; administration in academe, industry, and government; and communicating and interpreting science to the public. Fellows are elected annually by the AAAS Council from the list of approved nominations from the Section Steering Groups. AAAS strongly encourages nominating a full representation of communities that are underrepresented in science. This includes women, members of minority groups, and persons with disabilities. Fellows are expected to uphold the commonly held standards of professional ethics and scientific integrity.
Requirements for Sponsors:
- Only previously elected AAAS Fellows who are current in their membership and in good standing may serve as sponsors.
- No Fellow may serve as a sponsor on more than two 3-Fellow nominations in any given year.
- Only one of the three sponsors may be affiliated with the same institution as that of the nominee.
- Reminder for 2020: Each sponsor must also complete, sign and submit the "AAAS 3-Fellow Letter of Recommendation Addendum" with their letter of support. Letters of support without addendums will not be considered.
Requirement for Nominees:
- Eligibility for nomination requires an individual to have been a continuous member (with no lapses in membership) of AAAS since December 31, 2016 or earlier. Members who joined after the December 31, 2016 cutoff date are not eligible for the 2020 cycle.
Required Nomination Materials:
The primary sponsor is responsible for ensuring that all material is submitted by the deadline, including all three sponsor letters and accompanying addendums.
- A completed nomination form.
- Three sponsors must each submit a signed, supporting letter on letterhead along with a completed and signed "AAAS 3-Fellow Letter of Recommendation Addendum." It is important that all three letters in support of a nominee be informational, with a clear indication of the areas in which a nominee has contributed and sufficient explanation of why election as a Fellow is justified. Sponsor letters without addendums will not be accepted. This material may be sent directly to the AAAS Executive Office or submitted with the full nomination packet.
- The full CV of the nominee must be attached, including a complete list of publications.
- A separate list of the top 10 most influential publications of the nominee must be attached.
- How to send the material: Materials must be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org Electronic submission of nomination materials is required.
- List of UVA Faculty AAAS Fellows
The Office of the Vice President of Research is pleased to provide support for the nomination process as well as assistance with the application materials. Requests for assistance can be sent to Dean Evasius.